Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve been bombarded by skin and beauty tips by my mom. I even had the displeasure of chugging down those darn pearl powders every night to keep my skin “bright and luminous” like …surprise surprise… a pearl.
I never really cared or listened. I was young! What do I need these potions and creams and doohickeys for???
That was, until the teenage acne came. And it came with a VENGEANCE.
It’ll probably sound so superficial of me but it felt like a complete TRAVESTY! I was already struggling with my newly bestowed 5’9 height (at 12years old that can be a scary thing) add a generous sprinkling of acne and you’ve got one SERIOUSLY socially-awkward teen! Think of a brooding, hunched over teen desperately hiding my height AND my face. Think Edward Cullen, twice as tall and twice as sparkly (from all the oil!)
I am so glad those days are over! (note to any teen suffering the same fate, it too will pass. I swear it! Chin up, Buttercup!)
My mom, thankfully, was always by my side during this ordeal. She took me to the derma religiously after school, and she would remind me of my routine at before going to bed. Instead of lecturing me on what I should do we would have a chat before bedtime in her bathroom and (and I don’t know if this was on purpose or not) I ended up watching and learning her nighttime regimen. I would watch her remove the day’s makeup layer by layer, and put back layers and layers of creams.
What I got from it was that moisture is key in skin care. Yes, Zoolander was right. Moisture IS the essence of beauty! Hydrated skin is a happy skin! We are almost fully made up of water and our skin cells are no different. Lots of things can strip out moisture in our skin, pollution, stress, the airconditioning at work, caffeine, makeup, and a host of other things so you really have to put in an effort to return it as soon as you can!
I’ve spent a considerable amount of time (and moolah… >.< eeps!) building my own nighttime routine around the principle of moisture and at 29 years old I think I’ve come up with a good one so far. Now, it doesn’t include cold cream or Anspili (YET!) but here’s a list of products I’ve found to work for me :
- Bioderma Micellaire Solution –My miracle water. I use it a couple of different ways. One way is to use it as first line makeup remover. I just soak a cotton pad with it and wipe away at my makeup clad face before ensuing my usual cleansing routine. Another is to use it after washing my face as a sort of toner. The water is so refreshing and doesn’t smell like anything nor does it sting your face like other toners do. And finally, though I wouldn’t really recommend this, I use it lazily as an all in one wash and toner (eep!) THOUGH! I only use it this way when I didn’t put a stitch of makeup on the whole day! But seriously, great stuff! The French really know their skincare!
- Shiseido Perfect Whip Foam Cleanser – A travel souvenir turned staple. First discovered while scanning the shelves of a popular beauty store/pharmacy along the streets of Osaka. It is refreshing without drying out the skin. Just the teensiest bit mixed with some water and a good rub creates fluffy white foam that’ll clean deep into the pores.
- Philosophy Purity – It came with a gift bag from Philosophy and I really only used it when the Mia 2 came into my life. It’s also a gentle cleanser that goes well with the Mia because it doesn’t create as much suds but still gives me a nice clean feeling without the dryness. (Fun Fact: Philosophy has it’s biggest stand alone store right here in the Philippines! How cool is that?!)
- Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil – You better believe the hype because this stuff is GOLD! My SIL is a very well known beauty columnist and when I told her I’ve never tried it she immediately rummaged through her stash, gave me one and insisted that I did! I am so glad she did though because I can’t imagine life without it! It literally MELTS the makeup off! Heavy duty eyeliner? Pshh! Waterproof mascara? Oh please! I have never used anything that this baby can’t remove with a wipe or two.
- Clarisonic Mia 2- Ahh… the Clarisonic Mia…(2) Made waves around the net last year. It promises to scrub away dirt and dead skin cells with each of it’s 300 rotations per second leaving a fresh, grime-free surface for you to lay your skin care on. I went back and forth and back again before I finally bought mine (it really ain’t cheap) What I wanted out of it was the promise of reduced pore size with a smooth finish and I’m happy to announce that I get the softest smoothest skin after using the Mia. What about the pores? Well, we’re not quite there yet. I use it at least twice a week and that feels sufficient enough for me, though I have also heard of people using it everyday
- Hada Labo Arbutin (blue) Lotion – Another Internet boosted sensation! (You can kind of tell where I do my research from 😉 ) The Japanese brand Hada Labo addresses the 3 most common concerns when it comes to skincare namely moisture (the WHITE line which contains Hyaluronic Acid), brightening/whitening (the BLUE line which contains Arbutin) and anti-aging (the RED line which contains Super Hyaluronic Acid, Collagen and Vitamin A). FYI, the Japanese name their products a little differently, for example, LOTION to us may mean the thing you slather on after a good bath, but a face product titled lotion to them means something like a toner (odd but true!)
- Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid (white) Milk – To follow up our little Japanese jargon lesson, MILK on the other hand means moisturizer! I wanted to give the blue and white lines a try which is why they aren’t coordinated @.@ This moisturizer is light and gets absorbed by the skin pretty darn quickly so you’re not left with a sticky feeling after.
There are also some golden rules my Mom and Mimiya (that’s what we call our grandmother) swear by and I’m more than inclined to follow, I mean, LOOK at them! My mom is *mumble mumble* years old and my Grandma is 81!
If there’s anyone’s advice I’d listen to its THEIRS ^_^ Here are some of their tips and I’ll try to keep it as verbatim as I can:
- NEVER pick at your skin. They create pockmarks and scars. You’ll thank me later
- Wash your face before going to bed. You don’t want to trap dirt in your pores. Do it now, you’ll thank me later.
- ALWAYS put creams and lotions in an UPWARD manner. The massaging will help prevent wrinkles. Practice now, you’ll thank me later.
- SMILE. Frown lines are unsightly. You’ll thank me later.
- KEEP YOUR CHIN UP AND BACK STRAIGHT. It shows confidence. If you don’t have confidence you can always just fake it till you make it. You’ll thank me later.
Pretty short and sweet, but mucho mucho effective.
So Pearly, if you ever end up reading this, listen up and follow. You’ll thank me later.
Thanks Mom and Mimi ^_^